Friday 27 March 2009

An Evening At Angel

We recorded some of Sister Act last night at Angel studios. Whoopi is coming over from the US to do the interview rounds and promo for the show (can't wait for that), and they needed something to use on Wossy and the like.

Angel's beautiful. All wood-panelling and polished floors, and the hugest organ I've ever seen in the corner of the room (pause for laughter). I would have got a picture for you, chickens, but time seems to be money of Ghetti proportions when you're running on the studio clock, and I didn't think Alan Menken would take too kindly to me flashing my iphone around the room when I'm supposed to be belting out top G's.

There was a lively buzz amongst the girls, although no one dared voice it in anything more than a whisper. Not like in rehearsals, where raucous rules supreme. The code of behaviour is different in the studio. Everyone seems to observe an unwritten law of silence - even when the red light's off and silence isn't necessary. There's an air of anticipation. I felt as if I was in some kind of magic library, knowing that something amazing was about to happen but having to contain my excitement (not that that would ever happen - bad analogy, I know).

And what is it about putting cans on my head that automatically turns me into Bono?

It was extraordinary. I started singing with my eyes closed, one hand on the ear with the can on it, earnest expression on my face. When I did eventually look around the studio I could see I was not alone. It took me a while to remember that we were singing Raise Your Voice and not Feed The World.

I tried to forget about Bono (wrong sound) and instead began to channel the likes of Aretha, Donna and Roberta. Ooh...love to love you baby...

It worked. I don't know if I sounded anything like them, but I felt like them. I lived them. When I finally opened my eyes (it seems that sort of behaviour is not strictly limited to Bono), I was almost surprised to find myself in a small studio in Islington and not in a seventies disco joint.

As always, there were a few hiccups - the best being Katie Rowley Jones singing "Ecstasy!" at a really inappropriate moment - but my God, we made some noise in that studio last night. Watch out, West End.

No comments:

Post a Comment