Friday 6 March 2009

A Question of Faith...

Right. This is a tough one. Witch has been asked, as part of her Sister Act homework, to formulate a couple of questions to be forwarded to real life nuns. Hmmn.....

Thanks, by the way, for all your lovely Tweety suggestions - notably from Claire, who suggested asking if there's such a thing as standard issue nun underwear. Silly, maybe, but no less valid. Got me thinking. Where do nuns buy their knickers from? I can't quite picture Sister Mary-So-and-So cruising down the aisles of Marks and Spencer, or furtively fingering frillies at the back of La Senza.

Maybe there's a nun catalogue. Habits Direct, or similar. Although I can't imagine there would be much choice.  Available from sizes 6-20 in all shades of black.

Anyway, spurred on by bra-and-panty curiosity (every hue and shade of wrong, I agree), I began to think of questions I would like to ask a nun. It got off to a feeble start. After ten minutes, I had a paltry list of gimcrack ideas, all show and little substance. It was as if I was trying to ingratiate myself with or somehow impress these women; women I had never met, had nothing in common with and would almost certainly never identify with.

And then it struck me. Clean and quick, like the thunderbolt to the sinner. Hence my first question:

Why?

What makes someone become a nun?

It all just seems a bit, well... a bit silly, really. Why the hell (pardon the pun) would you give up your home, family, worldly possessions et al - to go and live a life of seclusion with a bunch of people you had never met? It's an issue of faith, sure, but is it really that helpful? I'd genuinely be interested to know.

I know they call it "the calling", but it would have to be a call louder than Streisand through a megaphone to get me anywhere near a convent. The idea seems utterly alien to me. I'd be pushed to get by without even my GHDs, let alone all my back catalogue of beauty products... Dr. Haushka... Clinique... Immac...

Speaking of Immac, I wonder what the church's official stance is on nun hair removal? Hang on, I think I've got my next question.

No comments:

Post a Comment