Friday 20 March 2009

Well-Heeled?

Witch is thinking about the heels-versus-trainers issue...

Yesterday I decided that I was drab. Devoid of glamour. Vogue-ly destitute. Bad knee or no bad knee, it simply isn't acceptable to rock up to rehearsals in seven-year-old track suit bottoms and a scraggy ponytail. So, I put some heels on. Nothing fancy - a simple gold court shoe. Just enough to give me a 'lift'.

They killed me.

All day spent dancing, running and jumping on a pair of already fragile feet was not conducive to tottering half a mile in five-inch lovelies. The journey home was pinched, to say the least.

I was doing my best not to limp when I saw a woman, a few yards in front of me, heading towards the tube. I had to crane my neck to see her before she vanished into the seething mass of commuters. She was beautifully dressed in what was obviously a very expensive trench coat, beautifully cut and lapping exquisitely around an inky pencil skirt and black lace tights. She looked fabulous.

As always, with matters of fashion, I was intrigued. How had she chosen to set it all off, I wondered. A platform boot? A patent stiletto? Or (my choice) a suede Mary Jane? I ducked around a couple of suits to get a closer look at her feet.

She was wearing trainers.

Not even classy trainers. Proper old, muddied up Reeboks. I felt as if someone had promised me a night at the opera and turned up with tickets for Blackpool Pier. I know she was on her way home, but still? Even a pair of black ballet pumps would just about have done. Anything but grubby old sneakers.

I walked the last hundred yards to the train with my head held high, steeling myself against the pain and fighting the limp with every step.

I might be heading for arthritis, but by Blahnik I will do it in style.

1 comment:

  1. Some people just don't have the class do they lol. Us ladies will wear our heels, may need super strength pain killers when we get home, but we'll be forever fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete